Assistant Engineer (Structures and Tunnel)
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within the highways department in Medway Council. The department looks after a significant network with a road extent of 840 km, 35,000 street lights, 394 Highway Structures, 32,000 gullies, 9,500 items of street furniture, 328 bus shelters and ownership and management responsibility for the Medway Tunnel.
The Assistant Engineers post sits within the Highway Planned Maintenance Team reporting to the Senior Engineer (Structures and Tunnel). The post provides support to services for the structures and tunnel team such as major schemes, inspection programmes, minor works and the planning / programming of works.
The post will include but not limited to:
- Managing the Structures Inspection programme throughout the year, checking each report upon completion and if required prioritising and arranging repairs.
- Ensuring Inspections are carried out on the Medway tunnel which is the Council’s biggest asset to ensure it is kept safe and operational. This would involve attending quarterly night time closures.
- Supervising minor works and ensuring they are carried out as per the specification.
- In time the post holder would be expected to project manage medium sized schemes, under the supervision of the Senior Engineer.
- Process orders and place works orders using Council systems like Confirm and Webreq
- Provide a customer response to enquiries, complaints and FOI requests
The post holder will required to have a vehicle for work use as the place of work at the West Service Building is only accessible by vehicle, they will also be required to carry out site visits using their vehicle.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Matthew Palmer on 01634 331378.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.