Debt Recovery Officer
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the Recovery Team within the Revenues & Benefits Service. This is a great chance to join a successful Recovery Team, which provides the following service:
- Collection of unpaid council tax, business rates, housing benefit overpayments and sundry debts
- Prosecution of debtors through the magistrates and county courts
- Referral of debts to and liaison with enforcement agents
- Recovering debts through attachments to earnings or benefits
As part of this role, you can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Administer and provide advice on the recovery of debt cases , of which some are complex, in respect of Council Tax, Business Rates, Housing Benefit Overpayments and Miscellaneous Debt in accordance with all relevant legislation and regulations
- Supervise the Apprentice posts and in the absence of the Senior Debt Recovery Officer to oversee the Debt Recovery Assistants day to day work
- Be the council’s advocate and prosecute debtors on behalf of the Council in respect of cases, some of which are complex, ensuring the maintenance of case histories for submission to the appropriate court as and when required
- Assist in the training and development of Debt Recovery Assistants, other staff within Revenues and Benefits and staff within the customer contact section, in respect of legislation, systems and procedures concerning the debt recovery process
- Negotiate repayment schedules with customers both in person; in writing and over the telephone
- Updating of database records concerning recovery matters
- Dealing with financial appeals
- Monitoring of payment records and other associated administration
You will have experience of working in a Revenues and Benefits environment and a comprehensive knowledge of relevant recovery administration.
If this sounds like the role for you, then we would encourage you to apply today.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager call Karen Powell on 01634 333732.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.