Medway is a great place to live, work, learn and visit. More information can be found here: https://www.wearemedway.co.uk/
The Council’s highly regarded procurement service is a small yet efficient and proactive team, who sit at the heart of circa £300 million third party expenditure, each year.
The team engage in all areas of procurement activity and are responsible for the Council’s entire spend profile and, as a Unitary authority, that means the delivery of Social Care services as well as the full range of “place” activity from repairing our ancient castles to building state of the art new schools.
Working in Medway as a Category Manager means responsibility for the successful delivery of high value projects through the entire procurement cycle. The team has delivered nearly £60 million of savings over the last five years and encouraged the Council to award more than 75% of its contracts to local SMEs. We would welcome the opportunity to interview any individual who wants to be part of an established successful team.
- The post holder will be expected to be a recognised expert procurement professional and leader in their field
- Be a registered full or studying member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) having achieved level 4 as a minimum or have 5 years senior experience in a procurement function or equivalent.
- Qualified in a recognised project management methodology or capable of demonstrating equivalent knowledge through experience.
- Evidence of significant experience gained in a Procurement role
- Proven ability of running both OJEU and non-OJEU tender exercises using e-tendering solutions
- Proven track record as a Procurement professional of delivering year on year savings
- Demonstrable ability to use advanced theoretical / practical / procedural / organisational / policy knowledge across a specialist area
- The post holder will have considerable experience and an excellent track record as a procurement professional and project management. They will also be able to demonstrate a track record of continuous improvement and delivery of results in a variety of procurement settings.
- In depth experience of at least one major category of spend
- Experience of undertaking public sector procurement or knowledge of the governance procedures and process which accompanies it.
- Evidenced experience of negotiating and managing contracts to achieve efficiencies.
- Experience of category management practice and how to apply it to achieve efficiencies
- Experience of Working with Governance processes in a procurement context
- Experience of Working with Procurement Policies, Rules and Regulations
- Experience of Carrying out Data Analysis
- Experience of Preparing presentations and reports
- Experience of undertaking significant procurement activities
- Evidenced ability to strategically work within a team of professionals to collectively achieve greater outcomes though communication and collaboration.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Michael Kelly on 01634 332284.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.