Do you enjoy working with a diverse range of data? Do you have the Geographic Information System (GIS) skills to take data and turn it into meaningful geographic outputs?
Medway Council is committed to making Medway a place to be proud of, maximising regeneration and economic growth and supporting Medway’s people to realise their potential.
To support this we are looking to recruit a GIS Analyst, as part of the Regeneration, Culture, Environment and Transformation Business Intelligence Team.
The successful candidate will be able to use their GIS skills to enable services within the council to understand the local area and our customers as part of service planning, design and review. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate their:-
- Experience of capturing, managing and quality assuring geographic data to support business needs.
- Experience of adding insight to geographical data through spatial analysis, interrogation and mapping.
- Support to stakeholders in the use of GIS to inform decision-making processes and improve service delivery
- Ability to support users across the authority in their use of GIS systems, techniques and approaches through training and demonstration
- Experience of managing a Local Land Property Gazetteer or a Local Street Gazetteer (LSG) or using gazetteer management software; ensuring that the business critical system remains operational and data quality remains high
- Experience of GIS systems, such as Cadcorp, demonstrating their use for the management and development of complex datasets, including applying additional value to data as data layers
- Knowledge of geographic principles including the capture, maintenance and management of geographic information
- Project management skills with the ability to manage a range of projects within user requirements, resources and deadlines.
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- Assisted car purchase scheme
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager please call Colin Garner on 01634 331465.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
How to apply
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.