Deputy Payroll & Pensions Manager
We are recruiting a Deputy Payroll & Pensions Manager working within a busy HR and Payroll Service for an individual seeking a challenge in a fast paced, high volume environment who has a passion for payroll and pensions service delivery.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a busy Payroll and Pensions team at a key time when the Council is planning a transformation of the HR & Payroll system. You will require a relevant payroll qualification, significant payroll and pensions experience and experience of managing and leading staff.
You will be responsible for ensuring compliance of all policies, processes, regulations procedures relating to payroll, pensions are reviewed and maintained in line with legislative changes. Provide leadership to the team and be the subject matter expert in all aspects of pensions, employment tax, national insurance and expenses and benefits. You will be enthusiastic and committed to ensuring the service provided is accurate, efficient and customer focused, engaging and providing payroll advice and guidance to a range of stakeholders including managers/headteachers and other Council employees, to build knowledge and support on payroll and pension related activities
You will liaise with colleagues in the HR team to ensure the accurate flow of information in respect of staff changes, including new starters and leavers, and support the Head of Payroll Services with the monthly salary reconciliation process, ensuring the required payments are made to HMRC, the pension providers, other statutory bodies and organisations.
Skills and experience:
- Experience of managing and/or delivering an effective and efficient Payroll & Pensions function and the ability to manage, direct and motivate staff
- Comprehensive understanding of computerised Payroll/HR systems and current PAYE scheme, proven experience of analysing and interpreting complex Experience using Resource Link and maintaining Payroll background parameters would be highly advantageous
- Ability to demonstrate practical and/or procedural knowledge in a specialist area, plan and prioritise work effectively as well as the ability to turn theoretical knowledge into practical applications
- Experience of payrolling Public Sector terms & conditions
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables, VLOOKUP formulas and conditional formatting
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, able to work under own initiative and to tight deadlines
- Flexibility – to work the necessary hours to meet the cyclical demands of the position
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work confidentially with sensitive information and to handle personal data in line with relevant data protection legislation
- Strong team player who will work collaboratively with all colleagues and stakeholders
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Car Benefit Scheme from Tusker
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway is a unitary authority in the South East of England, made up of the towns of Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham and Rainham and more rural areas, including the Hoo Peninsula.
Situated in Kent in the South-East of England, the area has plenty of green spaces, excellent facilities and easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating superb transport links to London.
We provide all local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services such as rubbish collection and events like the Dickens Festival to work that goes on behind the scenes to ensure services in Medway run smoothly and cost effectively.
Working at Medway Council means that you get to be part of this journey working alongside talented, professional colleagues to drive forward change to transform the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
If you would like to have an informal discussion with the recruiting manager, please call Sarah Saunders on 01634 332217
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regard to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.
Please be advised that we only accept online applications submitted through JobsGoPublic ATS
If you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email, if you require documentation/correspondence in different format such as braille or large print, please contact the Resourcing Team on 01634 332878.